21.12.15

DIY Mobile Tutorial

Snowflake Mobile tutorial 
          Dear friends I hope you will agree when I say there is something so charming about mobiles that they appeal to all ages! ! And who is not fascinated by the beauty of snowflakes!
          This DIY snowflake mobile was actually made for my daughter's Frozen themed Birthday Party but I am blogging about it this festive season since Glittery Snowflakes seem perfect for the season!
          And it's also my Guest DT project for Unstampabelles theme Sparkle and make  someone smile......I hope my sparkly mobile can make you smile!
Snowflake Mobile tutorial 
           My DIY Mobile has glittery snowflakes  die cut in blue and silver glitter foam and thick card stock[ ivory card] with  beads and dangling crystals.
Snowflake Mobile tutorial 
          The delicate snowflake designs were stuck on  glitter foam- card stock circles and has alternating silver and blue patterns.I threaded tiny crystals and acrylic snowflake patterned stars on to metal jewelry pins and rings  and dangled them on holes punched on each snowflake!
Snowflake Mobile tutorial 
         Shown above is the large snowflake in the center of the mobile- I used 3 different dies to make it and added a big blue rhinestone to its center.
         Though I used dies to make my snowflakes for my mobile you can use whatever you fancy. Here are some ideas on what you can use to make a  mobile:-
  • Quilled Designs
  • Felt Designs
  • Ornaments
  • Toys- as  seen in a school project my kiddo and I once  did on reptiles : Reptile Mobile 
Once you have your mobile elements ready you can dive right into hanging them to make a mobile
Materials Required to make your own DIY Mobile
  • Embroidery Thread- to hang your snowflakes or whatever you want to hang
  • Embroidery Hoop
  • Ribbon
  • Plastic Ring or Bangle
  • Glue Gun - optional
Snowflake Mobile tutorial 
           You can use any kind of sturdy ring you have at home but I guess the easiest and most easily available sturdy ring would be an embroidery hoop. You just need to use the outer ring of your hoop. Tie a ribbon across the center of your embroidery hoop.
Snowflake Mobile tutorial 
Tie another one across it at right angles. If your ribbon knots are not very tight you can use a glue gun to prevent your ribbon knots from sliding across the embroidery hoop.
Snowflake Mobile tutorial 
         Wind a ribbon or lace or whatever else you fancy around the hoop to jazz it up a bit.In our Dinosaur mobile I had camouflaged my ring with foam grass!
Snowflake Mobile tutorial 
       Its easiest to stay symmetrical if you tie ribbons in between the ribbons you had tied earlier---that way you can make a mobile which hangs beautifully and doesn't look too lopsided!
Snowflake Mobile tutorial 
          I tied the 4 ribbons to a ring [ you can use a bangle] adjusting the ribbon lengths so that my embroidery hoop stays horizontal and is not pulled up on one side !
Snowflake Mobile tutorial 
            That was super easy wasn't it ....! Well it is rather easy but tricky too!
The tricky part will be adjusting the lengths of the ribbons and I would advise you to cajole someone into helping you in that step as judging ribbon lengths and keeping the hoop horizontal while you tie the ribbon can be tricky without a helper!
Ornaments Mobile
           Here is another mobile we made using silver and blue Christmas tree ornaments!
Ornament Mobile

Here is a super short video lasting just seconds showing how the mobiles swing in the wind!

Both these mobiles were a big hit at my home and I hope you like them too!

Supplies : Dies :  Sizzix Frame Layers and Flower 2, Sizzix Card front Winter , Lifestyle Crafts Nesting Circles 

33 comments:

  1. Wow, this is absolutely gorgeous! So creative! You come up with so many fabulous ideas! I love the sparkly snowflakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the mobile idea. I need to look around to see what I have or buy an embroidery hoop. My daughter still has the mobile above her bed hanging from the ceiling that was above her crib when she was a baby. It is a Panda mobile.
    Melissa
    "Sunshine HoneyBee"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have missed seeing all the clever projects you come up with. This is no exception. The snowflakes are so pretty and glitter foam sounds like a lot of fun. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love mobiles!! Yours are wonderful! Love, love your sparkling snowflakes, fab design and colours for this mobile!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your daughter's frozen theme party was the first thing I thought of when I saw the picture of the mobile. I remember all the great decorations you made for that
    Great tutorial on how to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, this is stunning!! I love the mobile!! It looks amazing!! I love the sparkly snowflakes!! Gorgeous project my friend!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are stunning Sonia..and I guess the snowflake one will have to go to your daughter with the frozen theme colours..love the baubles too..so very pretty.

    luv CHRISSYxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fan Mobiles Sonia... Loztastic

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sonia, these are delightful! Thanks for the inspiration, and for sharing the instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely mobile ,its delightful to see thanks for sharing this gorgeous project

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are gorgeous, Doc. And you explained them very well. I'm sure you and Prisha must've received a lot of appreciation for these on her birthday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. How creative Sonia!! Those look wonderful and loved the frozen theme...!! :)
    Suchi xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is stunning! You can create magic with dies & glitter!

    ReplyDelete
  15. so delightful Sonia !! love the blue and silver combo !!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow..loved both of them first one instantly brought frozen to my mind n a smile too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great idea, love them both.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely brilliant Sonia! Clever you :)

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow such cute mobiles!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh that is delightful. Thanks for the info too.

    Happy Christmas.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful mobiles! Great tutorial!
    Pam
    scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very creative and stylish, please share more crafty ideas other than cards & paper crafts. You have great ideas :) Keep sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my gosh Sonia your mobiles are awesome!! I especially love the snowflake one,,,SO beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW!!! This is super gorgeous!! So sparkling & very pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow!! Such a gorgeous creation you've made here Sonia!! Really love the snowflakes and the pretty sparkles!! The colors are perfect!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my,how beautiful. I haven't made a mobile in years, but you have really inspired me. I love the colors and all the sparkle, snowflakes are perfect for a mobile, it seems! Great take on the challenge, thank you so much for participating this week at the Mod Squad


    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow! This is fantastic! I LOVE the pretty colors and all the sparkle! FUN project!
    Sherrie K

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous mobile Sonia! I love the sparkly snowflakes they are so pretty.
    Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
    Mandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. These are great! A fun way to get lots of sparkle and bling into the decor.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is so delightful, the colors are so relaxing and the sparkle is gorgeous. Thank you for sharing the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is brilliant, love how you play with your diecuts :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Both the mobiles are absolutely stunning Sonia!! Love them both! Love all the sparkle. I got with the Christmas festivities that I was so behind on my commenting. Finally got around to it!! Thanks for guest designing at the Unstampabelles this month. Your creations are always a treat to the eyes!!
    -Berina
    Moxie Craftie

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such a wonderful idea and perfect...

    Thanks for joining us at Kreativeinkauf-Challenge
    Hugs Anja

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...