25.9.13

How to make a Pyramid- School Project

 Solid Shapes School Project
Solid shapes school project
My 7 year old is learning about solid shapes in school and for her school project she had to take a chart or a 3 D project. Those who have been around my blog for some time will know my daughter always chooses the more difficult option![Remember our 3D model of the Taj Mahal!!]
But I must say it was fun making the 3 D paper cube, cuboid , cone and pyramid.
Solid shapes school project
The washi tape flags with the names of the solid shapes was surprisingly my little one's idea[ and no she didnt see it on pinterest!!!]
Solid shapes school project
I had once before made a Pyramid for a food pyramid school project but hadn't bothered to blog about it as I felt it was so simple.My hubby's aunt is a school teacher and recently she told me how she had struggled to make a food pyramid for her students as there were no easy tutorials on the net on how to make a pyramid
So sharing our easy and quick 3 D Pyramid Tutorial
Materials
  • Paper -thick chart paper or card stock preferred
  • Glue- Fevicol MR is my preferred glue. A glue stick wont work and avoid runny glue.
  • Scissors
  • Scale 
  • Scoring tool - use a blunt knife or a ball point pen which has run out of ink
  • Optional -Scoreboard - makes measuring and scoring easy and quick
The easiest pyramid is made from a square of paper! I started of with a 6 x 6 inch card .Scored [means take a ruler and run a blunt pen along]it every 2 inches one side first, turn 90 degree and do the other side. Choose any size of paper and divide it into 3 parts.So its easiest to work with a paper measuring a multiple of 3 eg 6 inch, 9 inch, 12 inch etc !!
When you score the paper into 3 both ways your paper gets marked into 9 squares  as shown in the photo below of the paper pyramid tutorial
Pyramid tutorial
Chop off the corner 4 squares as shown in the photo of the pyramid tutorial
Paper pyramid tutorial
Mark the midpoint of the outer 4 squares as shown in the pyramid pictorial
Paper pyramid tutorial
Score from the marked midpoint  to the base corners of the outer squares as shown.
Paper pyramid tutorial
Once you have scored all 4 outer squares,snip off small triangles from all the flaps as shown.This step helps to glue your 3 D pyramid easily
Paper pyramid tutorial
Fold in all the flaps at the score lines and now you have triangles around the base square of your pyramid.
Paper pyramid tutorial
Next fold up all 4 triangles and you have a 3 D paper pyramid!
Paper pyramid tutorial
The last step which is gluing all the flaps looks the easiest but is actually the trickiest because if you don't have patience to let your glue dry ...your pyramid falls apart! Apply glue on all the flaps of the triangles one by one and hold in place by holding the apex of the pyramid
Paper pyramid tutorial
If you are working with kids its highly likely your pyramid will have lots of glue smears..mask the mess by adhering pattern paper like we did for one of our pyramids! We stuck washi tape on toothpicks and my little one wrote the names of the shapes on the washi tape[ a gift from Priya].The "Prisha" was made by die cutting foam.
Solid shapes school project
I know for the seasoned paper crafter making a pyramid may be an easy task but I am sharing our pyramid tutorial for all the kids , harried moms and hardworking teachers to make school projects a tad easier!!
Click on this link for more School Projects Ideas

70 comments:

  1. Классная идея!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Katrin

      Delete
    2. Dr Sonia S V
      I really need to thank you!
      I'm doing this project on pyramids in school and I have to make about every pyramids built in a 3D model this helped me SO MUCH!!!!!:D it was perfect for the three pyramids of Gizah

      Delete
  2. This is a fun way to learn the shapes. Like her idea for use of the washi tape. Hubby actually made a pyramid using wood blocks for a Master's Degree Business class couple yrs ago. We have it in our backyard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa a wooden pyramid must have been so time consuming!! Hats off to your hubby!!

      Delete
  3. A brilliant and very clear tutorial. Thanks for sharing. Hugs Mrs a.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice of you to drop in and encourage even this simple tutorial Mrs A. Thank you so much

      Delete
  4. Wow, your daughter has a fantastic grasp of abstract shapes to be able to translate the concept to an actual, physical oobject. Way to go!!! NancyD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy the topic shapes is such a tough one..they have to learn properties such as how many surfaces, corners and vertices each shape has..even I went bonkers trying to get her to learn it. The 3 D model certainly helped. And Thank you so much for the support on such a simple project

      Delete
  5. Fantastic project and tutorial Sonia..Loz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Loz...so sweet of you to be so supportive

      Delete
  6. It's funny she picks the difficult cuts but the projects always turn out awesome!!! Just goes to show how well these learning projects are doing for her! She's an intelligent young lady!!! I'm proud of her and those 3D cuts look fantastic but I love her name letter cuts!!! Great job and thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make me smile Audrey and the die cut letters were cut with the Donna Salazar dies. They are so useful for school projects.

      Delete
  7. cute project and very colourful Sonia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Shylaashree ..yes we made it rather cheerful. As always colors were dictated by my young crafter

      Delete
  8. Wow..this is so easy...Loved it..Thank you so much for sharing..I too have finished some school projects last week..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh do share Sindhu .. you always make such gorgeous stuff

      Delete
  9. Creative mom and daughter...very cute project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is awesome. What a fun way to learn about shapes. Loved your daughter's idea of using washi tape. There is so much to learn from the young ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sharanyaa..I was so stunned when she suggested we write the names on "flags".

      Delete
  11. you are a super mom, Dr. Sonia.. 3D model is a nice and practical way to learn about shapes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is such a super sweet comment Berina

      Delete
  12. Unique project, she is a really talented youngster Sonia.... You should be extra proud of all the special talents she has inherited from you.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Shirl...she is a mutlitalented child and I am lucky to have her!

      Delete
  13. An awesome project- how cool is it that your 7 yr old is so crafty- we call that "A chip off the old block"...or she gets that from her Mother : ) Awesome view of how the pyramid is created- Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha yes Shelly she is a true mamma's girl!!

      Delete
  14. hi, Dr Sonia! The projects looks fantastic and reminded me some castle when I first looked at the photo :) You can make a whole city with these shapes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha you are so kind..a multicolored and multi shape castle!!

      Delete
  15. WOnderful Project ! Its very interesting for kids as most of the images in textbooks are 2D and with project like this they can learn the object properties very quickly and that too with fun ! I loved how you have edited the photos specially the triangle ..its very easy to follow with visual hints !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Pooja. Yes the solid shapes topic is a bit confusing for little ones!!

      Delete
  16. Great tutorial Dr Sonia!! I want to tell you something. I have two little cousins, they didn't have any interest in art and craft. Whenever they have to work on a school project they come straight to me. Yesterday I showed your tutorials to them. They got so much inspired by lovely Prisha that now they have decided to make their school projects themselves under my guidance.. A big thanks to you and lovely Prisha!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thats so good to hear Ayushi. I always get my daughter involved in crafts and especially for her school projects. She can use the scoreboard, the guillitone paper cutter and even the big shot!!

      Delete
  17. what a great project. Thanks for the tutorial also. That pyramid could be used for more than just a food pyramid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Ann in fact we made a christmas tree decoration with it..will share it soon!

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. Thank you so much for dropping in and always taking the comment to encourage!

      Delete
  19. Super fun project...loved the letters used to create ur daughters name...!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Shalu ..I keep using these alphabet dies for her school projects..hey look so cheerful when cut from foam

      Delete
  20. A beautiful piece of work!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind words Nagela

      Delete
  21. cool project Dr Sonia ... Thanks for sharing pyramid tutorial..love to hear that prisha used to some craft tools that's great..one thing i must say under your guidance nothing is impossible..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Radhika....yes my little one is quite the crafter and a big critique too!!

      Delete
  22. Wonderful project! Great job on all of the shapes! Love the polka dots too.
    Pam
    scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Pam for the sweet comment. I love polka dot designs too

      Delete
  23. ah Sonia now you know I how I love hopping over to see you and another great project and fabulous tutorial
    Hugs Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love to visit you too Kate

      Delete
  24. Wow!! Paper Pyramid Tutorial is well displayed and well written. Thank you so much for sharing. :) Maths looks very colorful!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ruchi..the color scheme is my kiddo's!!

      Delete
  25. Great way for your daughter to learn shapes, plus I'm sure it was very much fun to do together.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous26/9/13

    Thank you Sonia for reminding me of my school days when internet was not at all a knowledge base.
    As my mom was a maths teacher she helped with making 3D shapes. I am so proud of my mom when there was no helping tools for making these. Every school year , my maths teachers used to contact my mom for some projects in Maths. Even now after these years of her retirement, many schools still approach her for projects..
    OMG.. I am becoming nonstop...
    Feeling so close to my mom..

    Thank u so much...
    I think in future I can share this bond with my daughter Mishael who is just turning 2 on Oct 25th.

    Regards,
    Lija

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lija I am so glad my post brought such fond memories for you!! We did have a lot of fun making these shapes. And a 2 year old surely will be a bundle to handle right now isnt it!!

      Delete
  27. What a fabulous project .... it is wonderful and the explanation of making a pyramid. I'm impressed... love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sandie.I love your layouts

      Delete
  28. Awesome project...Hats off to u Doc for all the sincere efforts to upload every little detail and making everyones life easier :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sathya. I did the tutorial just cos of my hubby's aunt !!

      Delete
  29. She's so lucky to have such a creative mom! It looks like a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Eileen..and its quite easy...I just took a lot of step by step photos!!

      Delete
  30. Prisha is so lucky, I should say Dr Sonia. And I like the tip you've given for using an alternative for scoring board :) Use of washi tapes is a pretty idea too., well done Prisha! Well done Sonia!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sarah...I am lucky to have a child who loves to create stuff with me!

      Delete
  31. can you please tell me from where can i buy the sizzix big shot machine in mumbai.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Afsheen you can buy the bigshot online from Itsy Bitsy or crafters corner. See links here Craft Supply Stores India

      Delete
  32. This is fantastic!!! I loved seeing it turned into a paper decoration too

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hello my friend!! I've missed you while I was gone!! I couldn't wait to stop by and see what crafty goodness I missed while I was gone!! And as always, you didn't disappoint!! What an amazing project!! Your daughter is so talented, like her Momma!! The shapes are fabulous...as is the tutorial!! I love her washi tape flags!! So creative and awesome!!

    Thank you so much for stopping by my blog while I was gone!! I hope you have a fabulous day :)

    Hugs, Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  34. excellent . i loved it. its much easy. i m a science teacher and this will help me to teach food pyramid in 3D version. thanks love from pakistan

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hello Dr Sonia,
    Thanks for sharing such an important school project and its learning process is very easy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...