1.7.15

Mixed Media Altered Box Tutorial

Altered Box
           Are you surprised seeing the blog post heading..? Yes I joined the mixed media bandwagon too ! This altered box is a mixture of materials and media ...there is foam, cardboard , metal, handmade resin,plastic,cloth and of course paper!
           I am very new to mixed media so this tutorial is just a step by step of what I did to alter the box shown below!
Altered Box
      Painted the box with a mixture of  Gesso + a little white glue [ this tip is from Rupa who is an extremely talented mixed media artist...Thank you so much Rupa!] so as to help hold all the materials and media I was going to layer on it
Whipped Spackle
Experimented with a special type of texture medium called Whipped Spackle which looks like whipping cream and is creamy and light weight just like whipping cream!
Whipped Spackle
            I used a plastic knife[ have to invest in an artist palette knife!] to apply Whipped Spackle through a plastic stencil onto my  box
Heat Embossing

      Whipped Spackle dries pretty fast and when it was dry I dabbed the Versamark Watermark stamp-pad over it and poured  Ranger Gold embossing powder over it and heat embossed it
Heat Embossing
            If I didnt want the golden specks of embossing all over my box I could have used the  Antistatic pad shown below to dust over the areas I didnt want the powder to stick to...but in retrospect I am glad I didnt bother using it as I quite like the golden specks texturing my box!
Embossing Buddy
       As I said I am very much new to mixed media...I later found that Texture Paste is not very amenable to embossing as it bubbles up and Whipped Spackle behaves the same way-- if you heat it more it does bubble but I quite loved the effect of heat embossing Whipped Spackle!
Whipped Spackle
Sponged Tattered Rose, Peeled paint and Mustard seeds distress ink  on 3 areas of the box - The textured areas resisted the colors and remained golden so it made the contrast more lovely ! [I do urge you to use the proper  blenders made for distress inks...I somehow work better with the make up sponges you see below!]
Distress inks
          I stamped and heat embossed a few flourishes on the box but didnt quite like how they looked so hid them partially with a 3 D lacy heart!
         Die-cut 2 Spellbinders Lace Hearts and inked one in the same distress inks I used to ink the box and also ran a line of embossing watermark ink with the embossing pen on the rim of the heart and heat embossed it golden!
Spellbinders Lace heart
 Layered 2 hearts atop each other with thin foam tape.
Heat Embossing
Didn't want to use a glue gun with the inevitable "glue string" on the delicate ballerina golden charm so used the tacky Tombow mono liquid glue to adhere it to the die cut hearts
Metal Charm
There are some products one just loves...one of these is Wink of Stella [ also seen here : Accordion Card Flower tutorial ]
Wink of stella
Brushed on the Wink of Stella over the die cut heart and I think you can see the beautiful subtle shimmer in the photo!
Wink of Stella
       Mixed Media work is all about playing with your media and having fun .  I mixed Golden Gelatos into Whipped Spackle and used  it on a stencil to create the textured design you see on the side of the box !
Gelatos
         I admit it didnt look quite as pretty as I thought it would and I think uncolored Whipped Spackle looked more beautiful ! But I left it as such as it matched the muted colors of my project!
Whipped Spackle
Used my finger to smear some Gesso on the Whipped Spackle stenciled design on my box lid and lightly sponged it with Tattered Rose Distress ink.
Handmade Resin Embelishment
The Oval Resin embellishment layered on a Tattered Lace rose die-cut  was made at home! [More Handmade Resin here : Hadmade Resin Fairy]
Handmade Resin Embellishment
        Sharing another fun element of the box...the golden fan like rays you see emanating from the foam rose was made by using Whipped Spackle through an easy  homemade Stencil!
Martha Stewart Punch Stencilling
You dont have to own a lot of stencils to have fun stencilling!
Whipped Spackle
I used this punched out design  and applied Whipped Spackle through it to create the  fan design !
Martha Stewart Daisy Fan Punch out
Here is the Martha Stewart Deep Edge border punch used to create my "Stencil " !
Martha Stewart Daisy Fan Deep Edge
What I especially liked about the whipped spackle was you can lay it on as thick or as thin as you want and it held its shape beautifully after drying. I could even lay my box flat face down without squashing the textured design! You can also add different other  media to it to color it or even emboss over it.
Altered Box
I hope I didnt bore you with too many details and my maiden mixed media project is passable! Do tell me your mixed media experience...do you think its super fun or are you too scared to even try it like I have been !
Altered Box
          It was fun trying out something new and I have to especially thank Shalini Mittal [ of Crafters Corner for trusting me enough with mixed media products for my DT post],and my blogger pals the super talented Rupa [ for always being so helpful and generous in sharing her vast crafty knowledge] and the mixed media whiz Jaya for giving me so much information about mixed media products!
Supplies : Crafters Corner :
Mixed Media Supplies :Whipped Spackle, Stencils, Gelatos,  Distress Inks, Versamark Stamp Pad, Ranger Heat embossing Gun, Embossing Powder,
Martha Stewart Border Punch, Pollen, Paper Flowers, Charms,
Dies : Spellbinders lace heart, Heartfelt creations Classic Leaf ,Tatterd Lace rose
Adhesives : Foam Tape, Tombow Mono liquid Glue,

46 comments:

  1. Oh wow!!! It's gorgeous. Doesn't look like a first attempt at mixed media at all. You seem to have really enjoyed this process. Thanks for the step-by-step process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jasleen I was a big bundle of nerves and stared at the whipped spackle everyday for nearly 2 weeks!!

      Delete
  2. Pretty altered box. Not used gesso. Have used Modpodge & Tim Holtz Ranger texture paste. Used TH texture paste with stencil. I like the gold heat embossing; especially the gold speckle look. Like the Spellbinder hearts.
    Melissa
    "Sunshine HoneyBee"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sonia wow what a beautiful project it is so pretty and you can see you have put a lot of work in to this.
    Well done xxx

    Debs xx
    {Debs Cards}

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ultimate shabby chic mixed media box tutorial!!! It looks like it popped right off your blog decorations! Beautifully crafted Sonia.
    hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is gorgeous. Lots of time and talent went into making this project.
    Love the texture paste, adds so much to the box. Just lovely.

    Hugs
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful. From doing my art journal one thing I've learned about mixed media is that there really aren't any rules. It's more about experimenting, and having fun

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really awesome!! I love your take on the mixed media and all of your special details and accents really make this a wonderful addition to your style!! Thanks for sharing! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Amazing! This box has just changes its look, stunning work!! Love the technique you used, you have made a lot of work with a big talent!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a long time between my visits but I will catch up one day. :-) Thanks for visiting over my way. I love this box you have created and wonderful tutorial as always. "Whipped Spackle" sounds like something you should be eating.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic project and great tutorial Sonia..Loz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, Sonia, it's absolutely stunning!! What a transformation!! You are a mixed media master!! The techniques you used are all fabulous!! Gorgeous, gorgeous box!! I love it!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is absolutely beautiful, Sonia! I haven't tried mixed media yet but would love to use the whipped spackle which I've have never heard of before this post! It seems to have many wonderful applications!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow!! this is very beautiful Sonia!! this looks like an expert project!! I'm yet to try mixed media.. you've really inspired me..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Soooooooooo gorgeous! LOVING the flowers and the ballerina!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your altered box and first time mixed media is superb Sonia..I was so scared to start and my first one looked like a 2 yr old did it..lol.. but I persevered and start doing my scenes in mixed media and just love it..like making a giant sized card to me..Will promise to try a box soon..I like you didn't have stencils and used dies and punches and they work well..but one well timed shopping trip I found fantastic sets of 4 stencils in a packet and bought 4 sets..[I know, so naughty]..
    Have fun and cards will never be the same..

    luv CHRISSYxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe Chrissy...I totally relate to you splurging a bit on stencils!

      Delete
  16. Sonia, I agree with Lisa.....the ultimate shabby chic mixed media box !! you have taken to mixed media and created in your own unique style....and that is something so endearing in all your creations !! love the spellbinder heart and your foam flowers are so perfect !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe Suman...yes I cant really do the proper messy mixed media!! Something in me rebels!

      Delete
  17. You are amazing Sonia! Always inspiring to see what you can create next...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sonia this is awesome:-) love every step u have explained; gives us the courage to try our hand's on it now 😆 lovely creation and ur flower touch make it such a beauty !!! Have fun

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous box Sonia! A brilliant and successful first try at mixed media. You've really brought so many different textures and colours together which work fantastically well. Well Done. Debra x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very pretty altered box.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your box is just gorgeous!
    Pam
    scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW!! you did a great job on the upcyle of the box the heart with the ballerina is so pretty
    Thank you for joining my DL.ART Thankful Thursday Anything Goes July Linky Party. Have a blessed day
    DIANA L.

    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com
    http://dianamlarson.ctmh.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous box Sonia!! I really love the colours and the hearts are such a lovely feminine way to decorate. If you would like to try home made texture paste, you might have better luck with the embossing. It takes the heat really well as long as you allow it to dry before heating it. If you use the recipe for sticky paste, then you can add the embossing powder while the paste is still wet, let it dry and then heat it with your heat gun. That saves you step and keeps the powder exactly where you want it so you don't get speckles all over the place. Here is the link for the texture paste recipe, it may be fun to give it a go, and I also have glitter paste recipes for that extra shimmery design. Hugs :)

    http://mylittlecraftthings.blogspot.ca/2014/09/home-made-texture-paste-glitter-paste.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Pamelia...I admit I did see the tutorials on your blog but since I was experimenting for the first time I didnt have the courage to make my own paste!!

      Delete
  24. Such a stunning creation Sonia, absolutely beautiful.
    Pauline
    x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just stunning job. Thank you for sharing the tutorial. This is something I want to do.
    Hugs, Pat♥

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dr. Sonia this is a very beautiful box! I was stopping by to say hi and thanks for your visit and here is such a lovely project. I confess that I am a bit intimidated by mixed media. It is on my list of things to try and I will certainly be back for your tutorials. Thanks again for sharing. NancyD

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful altered box! So many fabulous details!

    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is absolutely scrumptious. I love it and I love that you shared so many details.
    hugs,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your first mixed media project turned out great. Lovely texture and decoration. I would like to try making a mixed media project, but have not yet got the courage to do so.
    Greetings, Wies

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh wow Sonia, this is just so beautifully shabby shic and I adore the yellow pink and green. Pure gorgeousness.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    {Doing Life – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your box is gorgeous, one would never know this is your first mixed media project! I especially love your home made stencil, so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  32. A fabulous box for your maiden voyage in to mixed media. Lovely texture and colours and pretty embellishments. I have dabbled a bit but haven't decorated a box in this way yet. Perhaps I will have another try soon - we will see :)
    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is awesome! So glad to see you try new techniques Dr. Sonia, it inspires us to get out of our comfort zone and try something new! ^_^ *Big hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  34. all your creations are just beautiful and so much work involved, so much love put into it
    warm hello from california
    bibiana

    ReplyDelete
  35. wow that is such a gorgeous piece of work dear and apologies for dropping by after ages..but you were always there in my mind..and so wanted to drop by..just got busy with life :)
    hope things are good at your end..cheers

    ReplyDelete
  36. Sorry I missed this one Sonia, but pleased I got to look at such a beautiful piece of artwork. Whipped Spackle is a new one to me but I shall be checking it out here in the UK.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you so much for sharing your steps with us! I learned a lot! Your project is beautiful! Thanks for inspiring and for your kind comments you left for me! Many Thanks! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  38. And I'm very happy, that you started with mixed media, because your project is fantastic! Yuo cared about every element here! Perfect!
    Thank you for playing along at BGC #70!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Beautiful project, Sonia, and wonderful tutorial. I learn something new with every visit. Thank you! hugs, de

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...