3.10.11

Easy Dinosaur Felt toy Tutorial

Dinosaur Felt Toy
My daughter is having her holidays and I am so busy with her so do forgive me if I am not regular in dropping by my dear friends blogs! My daughter is fascinated by dinosaurs and has been after me to make a dinosaur toy for her- Making a fur soft toy is so time consuming so I took an easy way out and made a " No sew" felt dinosaur toy.
Sharing how we made this simple Dinosaur Toy
Materials Required to make a Felt Dinosaur Toy
  • Felt- Use one or 2 colors
  • Filling- I used low weight polyester fiber filling- you can use cotton too if you dont plan to wash it.
  • Scissors
  • Pencil/pen to draw your pattern
  • Glue gun or Good old thread and needle! [I am a lazy bum to get out the needle and thread!]
  • Something for the eyes- felt scrap, googly eyes,paper circle, button ,bead - anything you have or fancy!
Fold your felt and draw your dinosaur on the felt positioning a portion on the folded edge [ to make your life easier when you join them!] Dinosaurs are easy to draw - draw free hand the species your kiddo loves- Brachiosaurus is easy-- more difficult to get the fierce look of a Trex !
Dinosaur Felt toy Tutorial
If you are not comfortable drawing free hand you can  click on the photo below[ it will open in an enlarged version] and trace the outline.
Dinosaur Felt toy Tutorial
You can involve your child in beautifying their dinosaur toy- My daughter is fairly adept at using a scissors and she cut out all the tiny spots for her dinosaur from yellow felt.- It wont be perfect-- But the fun you have with your child is more important! If your kiddo is too young to use a scissors they can help choose colors and plan the design!
Dinosaur Felt toy Tutorial
Fold the 2 halves together and use a glue gun or the good old needle and thread to stitch the borders. Leave a gap near the back to help insert your felt toy filling.
Dinosaur Felt toy Tutorial
I let my daughter help in most of the steps and here you can see her filling up her toy dinosaur.You may use a paint brush or other long thin object to help insert the filling to all the nooks and crannies
Dinosaur Felt toy Tutorial
Our filling is less than perfect and that is why our dino has a flat neck and tail!
Dinosaur Felt toy Tutorial
Close the gap using your glue gun or by stitching. Add your eyes and spots , ribbon or whatever your kiddo likes.
Dinosaur Felt toy Tutorial
I ran over the jagged looking outline using silver glitter glue.
Dinosaur Felt Toy
Felt is a wonderful medium to work with - easy to cut and make!These felt toys make fabulous Xmas tree decorations too!
Sharing a Wooden Dinosaur Skeleton Model- This is a wooden puzzle I had got for my daughter from a local toy shop for Ruppes 35!It was too tough for her to do and I ended up playing with it.[Warning takes at least an hour to do and needs a bit of concentration as its a Made in china with hardly any good instructions!]
It looks pretty realistic and beautiful sitting in our show case. 
Wooden Dinosaur Toy
I hope you enjoyed this " How to". Do leave me your comments.
Linking to Artsy Craftsy




56 comments:

  1. Such a fun idea :) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...this is so cute! Gotta love a pink dinosaur!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute and looks easy to make!! Gotta try it out now for my preschooler!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Какая прелесть!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thats a very cute dino there....

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely pink baby dino .give my wishes and hugs to your little one

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sonyia this Dinosaur is adorable. Love the glittered edge. Fun project!

    Bear Hugs,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely dino and easy tutorial. SOnida, i tried felt here in many craft & textile shops but could not get it. Could you tell me what sort of shops deal with felts?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mira I got felt at a cheap rate from Spar Mantri mall, Bangalore - but they were out of stock the last time I visited. Itsybitsy at Bangalore has felt in so many colors but its costly there. I dont know what other place you can get it-- The way I work I pick up something when I see it!If I dont get it I do something else!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Тhis is simply amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cool... you are amazing.

    xxx Monica

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very fun little toy project! I love that it's pink! :)Amy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it's great there will your daughter happy!
    Greetings Baukje

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow!! I'm sure your daughter had awesome time in making her own dino! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous3/10/11

    Fabulous… Fabulous… What a stunning felt tutorial… Loved this one… :-) Thank you for always linking in!! You totally make my day!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank You dear friends for the kind and appreciative words
    Kishley yes my daughter was thrilled we made her own dinosaur!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. There's another link your daughter might enjoy - http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Dino-Head-with-Paper

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Thank You so much Kishley I knew how to make that mouth but didnt think of adapting it into a dinosaur-- shall show it to my kid right away-- Love you dear!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sonia... the Dino is so cute!!! Lovely home toy idea!

    ReplyDelete
  20. hey !!thanks for sharing the tutorial doc !!

    ReplyDelete
  21. love the pictures of your little girl doing the pieces herself! this is such a cute project, and even better since there's NO sewing involved! I'm right there with you, that is my kind of project!

    -rachel w k
    rwkrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey doc ! Cm over to delhi !! We'll craft together !!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey ! R u frm MAMC ??

    ReplyDelete
  24. Romina I did my PG and Senior residency at AIIMS-- still miss the AIIMS campus and Delhi quite a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have a Grandson very much into Dinasaurs so thanks for sharing your tutorial to make one. hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is so cute, what a fun dinosaur.. so cute in pink. .. thanks for your nice comment on my card today xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow its pretty sonia...love that pink color on dinosaur...

    ReplyDelete
  28. wow ths s soo pretty sonia...love that pink color on dinosaur...

    ReplyDelete
  29. wow its soo pretty sonia...love that pink color on dinosaur...

    ReplyDelete
  30. wow its soo pretty sonia...love that pink color on dinosaur...

    ReplyDelete
  31. what a cute little dinosaur that is. you always come up with such fun ideas

    ReplyDelete
  32. From Sonia To Sonia
    I remember long time ago when my son and my daughter was child I made different toys with felt... YOu pink dino is very pretty. Thanks for the tuto.
    Greetings from Puerto Rico
    -Sony
    http://sonia-studio60.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow this is really cute.Pink dinaosaur really girly...what have you named her?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Adorable dinosaur!
    Carri~abusybee
    www.doubleclickconnections.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Snehal, Kuttu says she is called " Domki"!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. That is such a fun project..those little fingers are perfect for stuffing those tiny areas...and much more fun than using a pencil. ;) I love the glitter you added...my kind of sparkly dinosaur!

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is so easy to make :) Looks fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a fun project and the dinosaur is just so cute. I like the wooden one, too. Bet your daughter is very pleased with both.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I don't think my comment worked so I'll leave another.
    I think the dinosaur is just adorable and like the wooden one too. Quite sure your daughter loves both.

    ReplyDelete
  40. that's so awesome...so simple and creative!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Such a fun project doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Georgous pink dinosaur, it's the pefect colour for your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Wonderful dinosaur!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Too cute -- Love the yellow dots on the pink dino
    DIANA L.
    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. GREAT project idea!I LOVE it,SO CUTE!Have a SUPER day!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Especially like how you drew the dino free hand & the silver glitter edging. Before my daughter was born I crocheted her several stuffed animals (cow, horse, lamb) and always found stitching them up to be the most difficult part. Have made one of the wooden toys (a castle) and they are not easy to assemble. The one I worked on had pictures to follow by with no word instructions.
    Melissa
    "Sunshine HoneyBee"
    http://CreatedbySunshineHoneyBee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  47. Great idea, Dr. Sonia! I will try it with my kids. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  48. The dino is sssssssoooooooooo cccccuuuttttteeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Lovely creation and looks like your daughter had fun making it also. Great to have quality time with your child.

    Judex

    ReplyDelete
  50. This is the cutest pink dinosaur I've ever seen! The glittered edges are a perfect touch! What a fun, fabulous project!!

    Lisa
    http://indymermaid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  51. i like your stuff they are so good dint know it was possible to do as much stuff being a doctor and all...i live in saudi but my folks like in pattom tvm..thanx for dropping into our blog

    ReplyDelete
  52. Awww, so sweet, makes one wish for a new little one (in my case a granchild:0). very nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Cute..
    http://www.poornirecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  54. lovely and easy one to carry along with kids..thanks for sharing such projects Sonia :)

    ReplyDelete
  55. hi do u have any idea about frm where i can get felt fabric ,hot glue gun ,and studs in delhi pls do reply :)

    ReplyDelete
  56. hi do u hve any idea from where i can get felt fabric ,hot glue gun and studs ?? plsh reply

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...